Friday, January 20, 2012

3 Communications Lessons Learned from Miss Ann and Romper Room

Firstly, I apologize to my younger friends.  They didn't have the pleasure of meeting Miss Ann and being a part of Romper Room everyday and therefore missed out on these experiences.  However, now that Wikipedia is back up - thankfully- you can learn about Romper Room by visiting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romper_Room.

Now back to Miss Ann and what she taught me:

1.  Always listen - she was amazing to not only listen to the little people in her studio, but she also listened to her little viewers too.  I can't tell you how many kids I knew that sent letters to Miss Ann.  By listening she was absolutely loved by all kids, whether you were in the studio or not.  Of course this brings me to my next lesson learned.

2.   Always recognize others - how many of you gathered around your television at the end of the show with anticipation and the hope that she would call your name?  For those not familiar, at the end of each show Miss Ann would pick up a mirror - with no glass of course and like the picture you see here- and look into it and say, I see Danny, I see Steve, I see Donna and I see Heather.  Wow and YAHOO when she said your name.  It was like she could ACTUALLY see you. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world.  Lesson learned?  Remember to always recognize others.  Whether we seek the lime light or not, it is human nature to want to be a part of something.

3.  Be a good sharer - Miss Ann was wonderful at telling stories.  She captivated her young audience and made us feel included in who she was as a person, even though we never really met her.  She told us stories and shared experiences.  It was all good.  Lesson learned?  We can all share different tidbits of our lives with others, but when we come across something that might be useful to help another person, we should definitely share with others.  By doing so, we are building a relationship, even with strangers.

So, I thank Romper Room and I thank Miss Ann (who passed away a couple of years ago) for making positive lasting impressions on thousands of children!

Do you have a Romper Room memory you would like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment