Friday, May 25, 2012

Appreciating Health

Over the Victoria Day long weekend, my husband and I worked four days straight in our yard.  Between planting, digging, weeding, lifting heavy bags of garden "stuff" and on and on, I imagined that I wouldn't be able to move at some point during the weekend due to the overuse of muscles that I just don't quite use sitting in an office clicking away on a "clackity box".  And, truth be told, I haven't been quite as active as I used to be and might have "attracted" a few new pounds.  Surprisingly enough, I really didn't experience muscle fatigue.   The only unpleasantness that I experienced resulted from dividing and transplanting more than 50 Irises.  The repetitive motion of digging and planting these lovely plants seemed to reactivate tendentious in one arm - but within 24-hours, I was back to normal.

All that to say that it made me very aware of my health and how I was feeling...and how good I was feeling.  It made me appreciate the fact that I could lift 33lb bags of manure and that I could dig and move huge amounts of soil.  I suddenly became aware of both my freedom and vulnerability all at once.  It was both liberating and intimidating all at the same time.  The one thing I know for sure is that I really appreciate my health.  Sure, I have allergies and the occasional headache, but overall, nothing too serious.

During the week I was reminded of how my appreciation post was going to be about health and good health, when a dear friend was impacted by a family member being diagnosed with a malady.  Thankfully for her and her family member, it is something that a few small food habits can more or less rectify.  Despite this however, no one ever wants to hear that they are being impacted by "something" out of their control.  You can't help but be concerned that it might get worse.  You can't help but think about the worse-case scenario.

We never know what we will be served as each day starts, so let's cherish and appreciate each and every day that we feel like we can move mountains and hills.

And..in closing...I have made an appointment at the gym hoping to get back into my old habit of regularly working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment